Social media marketing Tips

Do you know that when it comes to social media marketing, you need to be in on the action? Get it that social media marketing may seem simple. In actual sense, that may not be the case. Setting up social media accounts for your business and using them to post may be easy. The most important thing is to build your brand to a point you have substantial reach and influence in your industry.

The following are some social media marketing tips to grow social media presence:

i. Set goals and objectives.
This ensures that you don’t fail to plan. Set S.M.A.R.T goals. This means they are; Specific, measurable, achievable,
relevant, and time-bound.

ii. Be human.
Make your customers have a personal interaction. It will be somehow suicidal on social media to come out as a faceless corporation, with zero personality. It will be vital to use “I” instead of “We” to enhance personal interaction. It’s also key to builds relationship, thus you don’t lose the social aspect of social media. For example, answering questions your followers ask, replying when your posts are shared or mentioned in a post.

iii. Get visual.
Show instead of telling. More people are drawn to visuals more than alphanumeric. Customers are more likely to engage with you when you post visual content. Posting photos make a big impact. This also enables sharing of content, making your business ahead as social media thrives on sharing.

iv. Ensure your profiles are known.
Conspicuously showcase your social media profiles to enable people to find you easily on other social media platforms. You should do the following to achieve this; Put your social media accounts on print media, add social media icons to your websites, and add your links to your email signatures. This ensures that you explore all opportunities to promote your social media profiles.

v. Stay active.
If you do contrary to this, then I bet you will get overlooked by your customers or followers. Content move swiftly on
social media, post actively and keep interacting with your customers.

vi. Provide real value and lessen the Hard sell.
Have you been posting content only related to you? If Yes! Then its time you change. Try adopting a rule like 70% of your social media posts inform, educate, and entertain, and the other 30% promote your business. The more you engage, the more followers you get, and this enhances your reach. The better your reach, the more customers or followers you can potentially get.